COVID 19 Workplace Policy
In 2020/21 there have been 20,000+ confirmed cases of COVID-19, in Australia. Around the world, COVID-19 has infected more than 100million+ and killed 2,000,000+ people.
There is evidence that the virus spreads from person-to-person, and is most likely spread through:
- close contact with an infectious person
- contact with droplets from an infected person’s cough or sneeze
- touching objects or surfaces (like doorknobs or tables) that have cough or sneeze droplets from an infected person, and then touching your mouth or face
So what should we do to avoid the virus spreading, and how should we clean and disinfect spaces where an ill individual may have been?
All Bells staff now need to observe the proper practices for avoiding contact with viruses. These are:
- Wash your hands often,
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer when you can’t wash your hands,
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough with a tissue or shirt sleeve, not your hands
- Avoid close contact with others, such as touching,
- Keep your distance from those who are ill (1 metre from anyone coughing or sneezing), and
- Stay home if you feel ill.
- Clean and disinfect busy touchpoints such as door handles, toys, handrails etc. especially if someone is sick.
According to the Australian Government Department of Health, to minimise the spread of any germs you should regularly wash surfaces that are frequently touched such as door handles, light switches, kitchen and bathroom areas. Clean with an effective detergent or disinfectant.
When working, staff should minimise the risk of being infected with coronavirus by wearing gloves and using alcohol-based hand sanitiser before and after wearing gloves. If operating in a workplace where a person with a confirmed case of coronavirus or a person in isolation has frequented staff may wish to wear a surgical mask as an added precaution. If a confirmed case of coronavirus or a person in isolation is in a room then staff will not enter.
Bells has two products that are expected to be effective on the corona-virus. These are:
Citrus Wipe Methylated Spirits or Chloradet
In the event, that staff are required to self-isolate or absent themselves from the workplace Bells will provide advice on entitlements and policy.
Further advice will be provided as the situation evolves.
S J Thornton
16 March 2020